Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday Food Fact: Brussels Sprouts

I know sometimes this food comes with bad wrap, especially with kids, but give it a go...I really love these things and eat them often. You gotta always try something at least once:)

Food:
Brussels Sprouts

History:
These little greens that look like small cabbages originated in Europe and were named for the capital city of Belgium. Brussels sprouts were first introduced to England and France in the 19th century and were later brought to North America when the French settled in Louisiana.

Nutritional Benefit: Although Brussels sprouts are small they are packed with nutrients. They are high in vitamin C, A and E which are great anti-oxidants and also provide anti-inflammatory protection. They are very dense in vitamin K and folate. Vitamin K helps the body absorb calcium and promotes bone health in addition to help in the prevention of hardening arteries. Folate helps in the production of red blood cells and also helps prevent anemia.

Ways to Cook: First you want to make sure you wash them. Many times there is dirt on the outside that we don't want. After washing them I generally discard the outer layer that has bruised or torn leaves. From here you can do one of two things.

1) Cut the bottom off perpendicular to the sprout. 2) Cut an upside down V in the sprout and remove the hard stem.

If I'm going to steam them I use the first method. If I bake them I cut an upside down V. My favorite way to prepare them is to cut them in half after cutting the stem out in a V. Then I put them flat side up in a baking pan, drizzle with olive oil, grind some fresh black pepper, sprinkle on some garlic powder and thinly sliced red onions and then bake at 375 until lightly browned. If you like you could sprinkle a little bit of sea salt over the top but due to my high blood pressure, and my feeling that you simply don't need to for great taste, I don't.

10 comments:

Ashley said...

You're scaring me with this brussels sprouts thing...

But I might have to give it a go. I've heard two conflicting answers as to how they taste...some say broccoli, other say cabbage. What's your input?

Hope your dad's visit is awesome!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I had to eat them as kids over and over again. I guess, they taste ok but I just have this "boring" memory of my childhood... lol

My dad usually cooked them together with meat and it was served in the meat gravy. I guess, that way, the "taste" wasn't too bad, if you liked meat... ;)

But the baking way sounds actually nice.. so I'll try that. :)

And.. I had no idea they help preventing anemia... so I really have to give it a go... my B12 and Iron are still pretty low.. ;)

Mark Gale said...

Hey Ashley: They taste like Brussels Sprouts! :) Seriously, much different from either broccoli or cabbage. Best, I think, cut in half, drizzle w olive oil, pepper, garlic powder, dash of salt. Sometimes we drizzle a little balsamic on there but not everyone likes that. Roast until just soft in oven. Broil a couple minutes to get a little golden brown sizzle. Oh yeah, cut side up.

Idoia said...

When we were kids we had brussels sprouts twice for lunch... The first time, for me it was ok, though I didn't like them, I ate them, but you should had to see my brother, he spent 5 hours (seriously) looking at them and finally he ate them. The second time, it went a little bit better, and my mom decided that my brother nightmare was over.

M.E.D. said...

brussels sprouts are great due to their versatility! you can steam, bake or fry them, add them to a soup/stew or casserole. they are perfect for the vegetarian cooking and they go just as well with any meat but i can't imagine them with fish.
i sometimes fry them and add chopped walnuts, delicious with salat.

M.E.D. said...

brussels sprouts are great due to their versatility! you can steam, bake or fry them, add them to a soup/stew or casserole. they are perfect for the vegetarian cooking and they go just as well with any meat but i can't imagine them with fish.
i sometimes fry them and add chopped walnuts, delicious with salat.

Ashley said...

Haha. Thanks, Mr. Gale. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and give them a try. My mother will be so proud!!

Mark Gale said...

Ashley...Mr. Gale..., Mark, if you please. Believe it or not, tastes change as the years go past. I think part of it is that "strange" can become "interesting" as we each learn more about food.

ThankfuLL Creations said...

i actually never had brussel sprouts until i started working at the restaurant. i dont see why people didnt like it. i guess its just the whole veggies are gross kind of things.


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com