Saturday, September 27, 2008

Louise's Last Regatta

I just finished a sailing race on Lake Michigan with my dad, cousin and uncle. It was officially the last race of the year here in the soon-to-be very cold town known as Milwaukee:(

We raced on a 44ft steel boat that was onced cruised extensively in the South Pacific. This was the first time I sailed on this particular boat with its current owner...for this story let's just call him 'Bart'.

Bart has a very interesting philosophy of being on the boat and in the race: Relax, everything will work out and be fine. For those of you who are not familiar with racing just let me tell you this is probably not the best ideology.

Imagine this; 115 to 120 boats ranging in size from 8ft to 70ft and from $5000 to a million or more dollars. Now all these boats are in an area of about a square mile of each other weaving in and out, fighting for position at the starting line. There are many protocols for rights of way so that boats stay relatively safe.

Essentially Bart was a little too relaxed with the protocols. We nearly clipped the rear end of two boats. On one we actually caught some of their rigging on our bow (front). Needless to say it was not a good/safe situation.

A crash could cause serious damage to boats as well as their crews.

I had a great time being on the water, as I always do. The weather was perfect, 75 and sunny with a light breeze. Bart's racing tactics are somewhat hilarious as you look back at them from the safety of the dock.

I'm now off to eat with my Uncle Bill who made the outstanding chickens. Unfortunately I won't be eating his chickens tonight:(

7 comments:

Melanie L said...

Sounds like an exciting day, although exciting in ways you didn't plan. Good thing no one was hurt! In NJ, I see people who drive the way *Bart* sails!

Tonight I'm having macaroni and cheese made with organic butter from WISCONSIN. I thought WI only made cheese (;=)! The recipe is made with smoked gouda with chile peppers and chipped jalapeno.

I enjoy the stories you post. I invite you (and any other readers of this blog) to click on my Miss Melanie name and check out my blog. It's based on how thankful I am to God for so many things.

Garrett said...

I'm happy you enjoy reading my blog!

Heck ya Wisconsin has Butter! Wisconsin has anything that has to do with Dairy!

Sarah said...

Hey! I'm glad you were not hurt but some of your story DID sound kind of funny even though it really wasn't. I am glad you're safe but I grew up w-boats so o know how that goes. I'm looking forward to being in Milwaukee for interviews at the change of the season-wish me luck!

Garrett said...

I'm glad no one was hurt too. Boating is fun but can be dangerous. Good luck on interviewing!

Melanie L said...

Looking forward to hearing about the Olympic dinner last night.

I watched the Shrimp Etoufee cooking video, and I cracked up. A stick of butter? Just add more veggies. That's like having cookies and a diet coke, because they cancel each other out. ;=) Maybe after 2012 we'll see you on Food Network with your own show!

Garrett said...

haha butter is not the best maybe. However, you need to put it into perspective. The recipe is huge and you are really not eating that much butter.

The dinner last night was amazing! I will have a post about it with pictures soon.

Melanie L said...

That is true, it's not like each serving has a whole stick. Just bustin' your chops! I think I'll try it next month when the weather is cooler. I think even rich foods have their place in a healthy diet, as long as your overall diet is healthy. Moderation is the key.


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com