Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Boggy Creek Farm

Today I ventured to a very unique spot in Austin called Boggy Creek Farm. If you are looking for a classic Austin spot this is definitely it. This farm/market is located on the east side of Austin and is literally in the middle of a residential community, it's a weird spot for a farm. Boggy Creek grows all of its own fruits, veggies and herbs. They harvest whatever the season brings and sell it every Wednesday and Saturday. They also sell things such as local honey, grass fed lamb, bison, locally made cheeses and a unique smoke-dried heirloom tomato. The tomatoes are really intense!

I totally love these kind of places. Everyone that works there knows all about the produce. They are all happy to share their experiences and stories of the farm as well as their knowledge of gardening. If you want to cook incredible dishes you need fresh ingredients. I'm so happy I found out about Boggy Creek so I can get fresh, hand picked goods to prepare for my meals. If you live in Austin I definitely recommend you check it out, if not...sorry.

http://www.boggycreekfarm.com/

12 comments:

Lauren Brent said...

Your posts always make me really hungry... but out here, we have a really cool farmer's market on Thursday mornings. :) Same effect, though probably not as cool.

Also... all the talk of produce reminded me that I had a crock pot taco soup recipe if you were interested.. you know, in exchange for the salmon and red onions recipe. Would it be cool to just post it here?

aaaand finally - do you happen to have any good dover sole recipes??

and props for how you ended the blog - I literally laughed out loud. :)

Anonymous said...

i'm currently living in houston, but will be in austin soon enough for school, UT !

i'm a science nerd :)

Melanie L said...

Let it be known that Miss Melanie lives in New Jersey, known as "The Garden State"... and our governor tried to get rid of the Department of Agriculture...

Farmer's markets are a lot of fun. In Southern NJ, there are local road stands all over the place. I take them for granted, and smile when I see all the NY/PA drivers stopping at them on their way home from the shore.

Nicole said...

That sounds awesome. I only eat vegetables, so I love them fresh!
I love places where the vegetables are hand picked and fresh as can be.

Delia said...

if not sorry? lmao not nice jk
yeah i'm reading this with just coffee in my stomach and now i have the urge to eat some tomatoes....

you should cook for us one of these days!!!

i have been wanting to eat some salmon, any good recipe? ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! I am hungry now!!! I live in Missouri and we are a farm state, but I don't think we have something like this....I mean we have farmer's market, the same concept only not quite as cool...It's too bad that I don't live down there otherwise I'd totally visit it...I might if I ever venture into that neck of the woods. Hahaha oh the ending killed me...lol...Very nice.

Anonymous said...

I love going to my local Farmer's Market Sunday mornings, the joy in discovering what's just come into season (locally, that's pomegranates) or to mourn, until next year, something going out of season (the stone fruits), and the year round offerings that have come to make up a regular part of my table.

I also really like hearing (while being envious!) what other people see at their local markets, wishing I had those available at mine. That smoke-dried heirloom tomato sounds very interesting, and like something that would make a good pasta sauce!

LUCY said...

Great Place...I did find the time during my last trip to Austin to stop by.....

Anonymous said...

Garret - TAG YOU'RE IT!!! I love reading your blog...now check out mine and see what to do next.

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! Fresh food is the best! I need to find a place like that around here!

Garrett said...

haha I love posting things specifically to rouse your appetites!

I would love to get some of your recipes but I would ask you to please email them to me through my website.

Fresh Veggies are definitely the best...

There is a great Salmon recipe on my website with sweet red onions, tomatoes and Parmesan.

Delia said...

oh i need to try that recipe for sure... don't know about the red onions but i can give it a try lol

ha now im hungry again!!

ready for new york tomorrow? i want to see lots of pictures....


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com