Friday, March 6, 2009

Ohhhh Yeah Baby

This morning was awesome! I swam the 200 free. I woke up at 9:20am. This was a bit late because I forgot to set an alarm. I briefly ate breakfast and went to the pool. Although I woke up an hour later than I planned it is crucial to stay calm and not worry about it. There was nothing I could do so the best thing to do was simply relax and go with the flow.

As I dove in for warm-up I felt pretty good. My hands felt like they were gripping more water than they were yesterday. Sometimes it is easier to warm-up and swim faster as the meet goes on because my body just becomes more in-synch with what I'm doing. It's almost like my body knows what's about to happen and is already preparing itself even before I dive into the pool. My muscles felt more powerful and elongated today than they did yesterday. I was confident this prelim of the 200 free was going to be good.

I talked to Eddie before the race and he told me to go win my heat. I told him I was going to pick up my effort level on every 50. He looked at me and smiled...he knew I was full of @#%&. I was planning on doing it but he and I both know I have no idea what I'm doing in the 200. I looked at him and laughed and walked away. I was in the final heat of the preliminaries and would be racing, among others, Peter Vanderkaay who is one of the best 200 freestylers in the world.

The race began. I was cutting through the water with ease the first 50. I turned first at 21.2. At the 75 I could see my teammate Peter Jameson was edging ahead of me. However, I remained calm and kept my focus. At the 125 I pushed off the wall and Peter was even further ahead of me. I was still going strong and felt really powerful. My speed usually gets me out ahead of most people so to be behind at this point I was kind of thinking...uh oh. No matter, I kept pressing and flipped the switch to my legs. As they started churning I could feel my body smoothly switch into that next gear. Oooohhhh Yeah Baby. I love that feeling of power and speed. I pushed off the final turn and my legs were going crazy. I finished and looked abruptly at the scoreboard. I went 1:33.53. I dropped two seconds off my best time!!!!! Yaaayyyyyy...Truthfully I had no idea I was going that fast...Sweeetness

I'm seeded first for tonight and am really looking forward to having another good swim. Morning's like these really make me believe, 'The Sky is the Limit'

7 comments:

Whitney said...

This is awesome! I'm so excited for you!

Jeff Lee said...

grats on beatting pvk..people don't expect sprinters to turn it on in the end for some reason, but thats actually what i used to do all the time as a sprinter racing the 200 too.. should be some good things to come in the 100 for you

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

You need to oversleep more often!!!

Anonymous said...

That anonymous person's comment was actually mine....and I thought your specialty was sprinting?

Nicole said...

Cool! Have fun tonight!

Ande Rasmussen said...

outstanding 200
isn't that your best ever


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com