Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Georgia Mudd Fudge Baby

I've figured out that one of the true necessities of maintaining a healthy diet is to incorporate cheats and indulgences into your diet. I generally figure in two cheats per week. A cheat for me can be anything from going to a bbq joint, having a donut, an ice-cream, pizza, gyro etc. It's very difficult to keep your diet perfect all the time. There is no doubt that I have a huge sweet tooth. The truth of the matter is that I get super excited and happy when I eat something really sweet and indulgent. The healthy foods keep me positive and confident that I'm eating everything I need to be in order to help fuel my body for maximum performance. The treats are just a little break from the usual that get me really up-beat mentally and charged up!

I've been super healthy and haven't had a cheat in probably over a week. Tonight I let loose big-time. I had a Georgia Mud Fudge Blizzard at Dairy Queen. This is vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce, brownie bites, pecans all mixed together into a gooey, delectable treat. YEAH BAAAABBBBYYYYY:) I'll probably spend all day tomorrow working that off but hey I gotta go crazy sometimes.

In about another couple weeks I will probably cut out cheats completely. Going into huge meets I will make the sacrifice to stay strict to my diet and have zero cheats. At this point there is really no room for error. I'll be honest with you. I'm not a lean, cut, monster of a machine. I have a little layer of fat on me. Genetics have provided me with this and there is nothing I can do about it no matter how much I work out or what I do nutritionally. Either way, I stop the sweets and cheats because in reality they aren't helping my body get where I want to go. Before Olympic Trials last summer I hadn't had a dessert in about three months. It worked for me then and I plan for it to work for me now!

10 comments:

Mikayla Cooke said...

Sometimes it just feels good to "let go"! Keeps you sane! Good luck on your future meets & only expect great things!

Ellen said...

Yes, I'm sure you're tipping the scale at 9% fat these days! That yummy ice cream cheat treat probably added another .0001%! Ice cream is my weakness too.

Nicole said...

Letting loose is awesome! Would the Charlotte Ultra Swim be a meet which is coming up in few weeks for you? If so I have requested tickets but I don't know if i got them yet and if you are there I will be cheering you on!

Anni said...

Hey, it's not exactly cheating.... just indulging so you can put yourself in a great mood to train!! That sounds AWESOME, ! wish there was a DQ closer than 15 miles away from me :( Is the swine flu affecting your training? My natatorium has closed down starting tomorrow until at least May 11, which is TERRIBLE, because I am suuuper close to getting my sectionals cut even though i'm only 12, but that would ruin everything!! What do you reccomend? Running? I definately need to stay in good shape because if I don't, this won't be a good season, and it definately could be if I train well. Help!!

J said...

Sweet treat...sounds a good way to enjoy the day! If I can enjoy a super decadent treat...its a local favorite a mexican restaurant...a chocolate brownie with Brandy..and vanilla ice cream!

Jane said...

Sometimes indulgences can be healthy too, like going for exotic fruits!! I have just gotten into exotic fruit salads after going to this great restaurant in London , Clerkenwell Rooms. next time your in london go there it's sooooooo yummy!!

Enjoy the treats whilst they last and have fun at the meets!

Jane x

Unknown said...

YUM!!!

Garrett said...

Letting go is essential sometimes.

No I will not be going to Ultra Swim.

Anni: don't do anything drastic. I wouldn't do a lot of running. Try to maintain a modest level of fitness any way you can. You could do some short running sprints or some light weights. You could do some sculling in your bathtub if you wanted to continue to feel the water. If you've been training hard and consistently this past year your body will be able to handle more rest than you think. Trust in the training you've done. There's nothing you can do about the pool closing. Believe in yourself and you can do anything.

Anni said...

Thanks Garrett for your help. My team is trying to train at local gyms, but the pool there is a different length from ours and sometimes very crowded. However, our coach has given us generic workouts and we are pushing ourselves as far as those allow. We'll work through it and hopefully be in ok shape at the start of next week. I will definately keep your suggestions in mind- they will be very helpful :)

Rick Pannell said...

I feel the same way! my wife made kentucky derby pie yesterday and it was decadent.


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com