Thursday, October 16, 2008

Fourth Day of Swimming

Wow...Today was my fourth day back in the water. Needless to say I almost forgot how boring training can be:( I am not in shape to train with the team yet considering I took two months off, so I am swimming by myself in the diving well. Training by yourself is lonely and tedious.

I did have a good set today though. I swam ten 200 freestyles on 2:30 and averaged between 2:03 and 2:05. Even though these are not that great of times in general, I was satisfied with my current fitness after taking such an extended break. At the end of the set I could tell that my arms were really starting to break down and get fatigued. I literally kicked the kick into high gear and tried to motor home. The great thing about swimming and working out in general, is that I always know it will get better. The harder I work, the more in-shape I become. The fitter I am, the less training and racing hurts. Although training is very strenuous on my mind and body, it's what puts me in a position to swim fast and achieve my goals at the end of the year.

I will keep ya'll updated with my swimming as the season goes on.

Luckily I stayed in the weight-room while I was on my break. The most important thing for me to do in order to get faster is to get stronger. The weight training I did in my time out of the water will help me lay the foundation for building greater strength throughout the course of this next season. Plus, I am not super sore right now which is always a huge positive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Garrett, blog is just great. It's always good to read something interesting written by swimmer himself. Congrats on Your Olympic achievements :) What was the case of not getting into finals of 50 and 100m freestyle races? I was afraid it will be pretty hard to keep up that momentum from Omaha trials :( Anyway 2 gold medals is a result you can only dream about. Freestyle relay performance was just stunning. Ah, is there any possibility to get UT swimming cap not being part of the team? As a souvenir lets say? Keep it up :D

Jack, Poland

Garrett said...

I'm glad you like reading my blog. The Olympics was truly the best experience of my life! Look for future blogs to have more in-depth perspective about my individual races in Beijing. As for the cap, you will need to enter the recipe contest...and win for one of those.


Blogspot Template by Isnaini Dot Com